Books For Treats is the Willow Glen-based program that encourages you to give gently read books to your trick-or-treaters instead of candy.
The movement is spreading across the US and Canada, and they’d love to have more communities in Silicon Valley provide a Books For Treats event, as other communities have. If you have contacts in other book- and children-loving places, send them to www.BooksForTreats.org to download their free step-by-step guide.
Willow Glen’s own event is one of the larger giveaways, and it “takes a village” to pull it off with help in the areas listed below.
If you’re interested in helping, please contact Books for Treats founder and Willow Glenner Rebecca Morgan at Rebecca@RebeccaMorgan.com or 408/998-7977
- Collect gently read children’s books, especially from baby through second grade. If you are willing to run a book drive (at work, play groups, schools, churches), email me for a drop-off point. If you want to clear out your kids’ libraries, Comerica (on Lincoln), Willow Glen Yoga, Technology Credit Union and Cuchina Bambini take Books For Treats book donations.
- Transport 2 pallets of books from near Kelly Park to the Garden Theater the week before Halloween. This would be great for someone with a truck, van or large SUV and some strong-armed help to unload the book boxes. (Boy Scouts? Teenagers? College students? All-round good guys?) Our storage space is open until 4:00 weekdays.
- Help sort books on Friday, Oct. 26. Don’t worry if you know nothing about reading levels — we give you brief instruction. We need 12-25 volunteers. We’d love to have those with elementary teaching experience to help determine reading levels, but anyone can help.
- Hand out books on Oct. 31 (from 11:00-12:30, 3:00-4:30) to the Lincoln Ave. trick-or-treaters. We need 12-15 volunteers.
- Write and distribute press releases. Ideally, this person has experience in this area.
- Create video testimonials from parents and kids who’ve experienced Books For Treats. If you’re good with a video camera and are willing to gather some footage before and during the event, we’d love to have short clips on our website and YouTube.
- Give books to your own trick-or-treaters. There’s a thorough free kit on how to do this downloadable from www.BooksForTreats.org. You can buy gently read children’s books at the Oct. 6 Friends of the Willow Glen Library book sale, or garage sales and thrift shops.
- Tell your neighbors, friends and coworkers about Books For Treats and encourage them to go to www.BooksForTreats.org to download their free kit.
- If you’d like to make a monetary contribution to support our web hosting, label printing, etc. let us know and we’ll tell you where to send the check or there’s a PayPal link at www.BooksForTreats.org/donate. We’re now a 501c3 which means your donations are tax deductible!
Even if you can’t help with anything listed below, we’d love to have your support at the fundraiser on Oct. 24 at Willow Street Pizza (Willow Glen location only). They will donate 20% of the proceeds from any purchases for lunch or dinner if you show the flyer downloadable here: http://bit.ly/SnqsCK. Bring a group and have a fun time!